Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fondant Cakes

These are my first attempts at using fondant to decorate cakes. Kyle wanted a dragon for his 8th birthday and he wanted it to have wings and lots of scale. He also wanted to pick the colors. The scales are hard to see in these pictures.
I had never made or used fondant before this cake. Please remember I am completely self taught and just have fun experimenting. I used food coloring and a paintbrush to color this one.
This is my 2nd try. I used a different recipe for the fondant and found it was a little easier to work with.
Allie found a picture of this pig and decided she wanted it for her 5th birthday.

Almost a year later, I got the chance to work with fondant again.
Azurdey wanted a cake with toys. (Yes, she is a little spoiled.)
This is the cake she got for her 3rd birthday.

My 4th attempt.
Allie wanted a mermaid for her 6th birthday. I tweaked the "Barbie Cake" and came up with this. I still had the half-doll from Jada's Barbie cake from when she turned 5.
I colored large sugar crystals to make the 'sand' on the top layer. It was fun to make all the shells and coral. It is hard to see those details in the pictures.
These cakes are far from perfect and I am the first to admit I am no professional, but I do enjoy it, especially when I see the kids' faces light up to see their idea turned into a birthday cake. Also, it always sparks my creativity to see what other people have done with their cakes, so I hope these examples might help get your creative juices flowing.
-Ashlee-

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I think your cakes are AMAZING and I know how much time it takes to make them!! Back in the day I used to make cakes all the time, but I never used fondant!!
Your kids will remember forever all the work you put into their cakes.
Keep up the GREAT work

Teri said...

I'm glad you put these up. People definitely have to click on the pictures to see all the detail on the mermaid one.
Now I want a post of all of the cakes you've ever done. I like looking at all the different ideas you've had over the years. :)

Vicki said...

It is fun to see them all in progression. You're first one was good, but they each still get even cooler.

Vicki said...

ps. Ash, are you going to post the fall family pics you took? I figure you must have taken more than just the 2 you put on your family blog

Anonymous said...

I seriously think that you should start doing this as a side business. Every kid in Lovell would by lucky to have a cake as cool as those for their birthday.

nAnnie Laurie said...

I know so many ladies, one of my daughters, too, that bake cakes for their kids/hubbies/friends -- and they totally love it -- and they are SO DANG GOOD at it, it makes me cry for joy at the amazing talent! Now I know another 'lady' that is marvelous!! My goodness, you're GOOD! (Laurie Ogden, friend of Vicki's from Singapore)